Car insurance

Searching for the right car insurance can be complicated. So we’re here to make your life easier. Whatever your car’s shape or size, our team of experts are here to help you drive with confidence under the right cover.


Home insurance

Finding the right insurance to protect your property and all its belongings is often a difficult process. That’s why we’re here to find you a policy tailored to your home, giving you extra assurance in your insurance. Whether you’re a homeowner, landlord, or building a property, we can help you with the right insurance to keep your house a home.


Van insurance

On the lookout for the right van insurance? Our expert team will find the right insurance to have you covered. Whether you’re a sole trader or have a fleet of vans, we work with a range of insurers to provide you with the right cover to keep you and your van on the road.


Business insurance

Searching for a business insurance deal? From home offices to large enterprises, we understand that every business is different. That’s why our expert team works hard to find the right policies and protection for your specific business needs.


Farm insurance

We understand the constant demands of farming, so we’re here to make one thing much easier. No matter the size, we work with you on a personal level to protect your livelihood and help find the most competitive cover that your farm needs.

Other insurance

Searching for the right car insurance can be complicated. So we’re here to make your life easier. Whatever your car’s shape or size, our team of experts are here to help you drive with confidence under the right cover.

Top view of coffee table in the living room

How to estimate your home contents value?

Home contents insurance is necessary if you want to protect your belongings and personal possessions should something ever happen to your home due to storms, theft, fire, accidental damage or flood damage.

What is contents?

We know it can be tricky to figure out what is regarded as contents. Plus, the fact that each insurer tends to have a different definition doesn’t help but generally contents consists of:

As part of any contents insurance quote, you will have to assess the value of your contents ensuring you are as accurate in your estimation as possible, as this will be the total maximum amount your policy will pay out if the unexpected occurs. 

Where to begin?

A good approach is to take each room in turn and make an inventory of all items. We’ve broken it down room by room to help guide you.

Living Room

The living room is usually the heart of the home and you may have a combination of entertainment systems and soft furnishings. Make sure to include all open units and suites of furniture to your list as well as gadgets like the TV, PlayStation, Xbox, Headsets, DVD players, speakers, tablets and printers. There’s no need to list each individual item within a group when it comes to things like books and DVDs.

Other things you may want to list:


The kitchen will most likely have the greatest number of items, all of which need to be added to your inventory list. It may be easier to walk around the kitchen, sifting through cupboards as you go.

Kitchen appliances are the most important thing as they are likely to be the most expensive objects. Washing machines, tumble dryers, fridges, freezers, should all be added.

Other things you might want to list:


Bedrooms will contain typical furniture like beds, wardrobes, dresser stands and desks. Don’t forget to add what might be in them such as clothes, shoes, bags and accessories.

If you are the lucky owner of designer goods or vintage pieces, they may have a price tag of several thousand pounds in their own right so some insurers may need you to specify such items on your policy to insure separately.

Other things to add:


Your bathroom suite is usually covered under your building insurance as it is fixed in place so there’s no need to add this to the list, however you might want to add items like:


A lot of people forget about the garden but it should be included in your contents, especially as some gardening equipment can be quite pricey. You should include gardening equipment such as tools, lawnmowers, furniture, BBQ, bikes and ladders. Some insurers will offer a small amount of cover for landscaping items, such as plants and flowers however it is best to ask beforehand.


Many people forget about their attic space too, but this is where you may house a lot of things such as Christmas decorations, family heirlooms or memorabilia.

Valuable items 

If there are any items on your list that are particularly valuable or costly, these may need to be declared separately on your content’s insurance such as engagement rings, wedding rings, antiques or rare collectables.

Personal Possessions

Personal Possessions relates to items that belong to you that you would normally take outside of the house such as an expensive watch, golf clubs or technical equipment etc.

You can buy two kinds of cover for this:

Estimating costs

Was this article helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Related articles

Need to speak with us? 08000 66 55 44