Car insurance

Searching for the right car insurance can be complicated. So we’re here to make your life easier. Whatever your car’s shape or size, our team of experts are here to help you drive with confidence under the right cover.


Home insurance

Finding the right insurance to protect your property and all its belongings is often a difficult process. That’s why we’re here to find you a policy tailored to your home, giving you extra assurance in your insurance. Whether you’re a homeowner, landlord, or building a property, we can help you with the right insurance to keep your house a home.


Van insurance

On the lookout for the right van insurance? Our expert team will find the right insurance to have you covered. Whether you’re a sole trader or have a fleet of vans, we work with a range of insurers to provide you with the right cover to keep you and your van on the road.


Business insurance

Searching for a business insurance deal? From home offices to large enterprises, we understand that every business is different. That’s why our expert team works hard to find the right policies and protection for your specific business needs.


Farm insurance

We understand the constant demands of farming, so we’re here to make one thing much easier. No matter the size, we work with you on a personal level to protect your livelihood and help find the most competitive cover that your farm needs.

Other insurance

Searching for the right car insurance can be complicated. So we’re here to make your life easier. Whatever your car’s shape or size, our team of experts are here to help you drive with confidence under the right cover.

farmer feeding cattle in a shed

Everything you need to know about farm insurance

Farm insurance protects many different aspects of your farm.

This can include damage to livestock, house and buildings, machinery, and technology, as well as legal liability in the event of a claim against you.

But no two farms are the same and cover is broad as a result. We’ve put together a handy guide to help you better understand farm insurance.


Who needs farm insurance?

Anyone who runs a farm is likely to need some form of farm insurance.

The type of policy you need will vary because farms come in all shapes and sizes. It’s important to make sure the level of cover reflects your needs.


Types of farm insurance cover

Farm insurance has a broad scope and there a number of different types of cover.


Farm buildings and contents cover

This cover protects against damage to farm properties caused by fire, vandalism, and flooding, for example. It can include farming and dairy equipment, machinery, and silage.

It’s also important to cover domestic property, especially if the buildings are in close proximity to the farm. A household buildings and contents policy covers domestic buildings, plus items like jewellery and other valuables.


Livestock cover

Livestock cover is important for farmers in the livestock business. Animals can be killed, fall ill, stray or even be stolen. Depending on the farm insurance package, this can cover individual animals or livestock herds.


Liability cover

Farmers may also need to cover themselves against legal liability. There are a number of different types of liability cover that can be added to a farm insurance policy.

Public liability, for example, covers you if a member of the public is injured on your farm or if stray animals cause damage to someone else’s property. Product liability would be needed if a person becomes ill after using a product from your farm.

Employer liability protects against injury to an employee as a direct result of working on your farm, while environmental liability covers against the cost of repairing any environmental damage caused by work on your farm.

If you’re not sure what sort of liability cover you need, a member of our farm insurance team will be happy to help.


Agricultural vehicle cover

Vehicles are key to the day-to-day running of your farm and should be a priority in your farm insurance policy.

Agricultural vehicle cover offers protection for farm vehicles like tractors, combine harvesters and quad bikes. This cover can also include commercial vehicles specific to your farming business, like lorries or pickups.


Smallholder cover

A smallholder policy is useful if your land is smaller than a full-time farm.

Smallholdings are often a hobby or passion rather than a commercial business and standard cover can include protection from flood or storm damage, theft or material damage.


Extra farm insurance cover options

Insurers also offer extra farm insurance options to increase your level of cover. These include loss of revenue, milk in tank, personal accident, and sickness cover.

Some farmers may also consider personal insurance policies like life or health cover.


Farm insurance needs to be tailored

All farms are different, so farm insurance needs to be tailored to create a package that meets your specific needs and requirements.

AbbeyAutoline also offers Farm Combined Insurance. This is designed to bring multiple aspects of farm insurance into one policy. The cover can be adjusted so the level of protection suits your individual needs.

Our dedicated farm insurance team can help you choose the right cover. Call us on 08000 66 55 44 to tailor your policy today.

Was this article helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Related articles

Need to speak with us? 08000 66 55 44